Re: Re: Canada's national sport

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:22:11 -0700

> Field hockey and lacrosse actually get their roots from the Irish sport
caman,
> also known as hurley. I believe Roderick has waxed rhapsodic on the
subject on
> more than one occasion...

That's camanachd and it's Scottish (unlike Irish Hurley, you're not allowed to pick up the ball with your hands - or at least that's what I've been told the difference is - also they have different heads on the sticks). Both Alex and I have posted RQ-style rules for it, But you have to get into the Zipped RQ_Daily Archives to find mine..

I played it in my youth, and was lucky not to get a broken jaw stopping a dhot with my face. Of course, we were using an american baseball rather than a lighter shinty ball... We always played "Friendlies", since we were a tight group of friends. The one time we didn't was against a single guy on one of the teams that kept checking people during a soccer game - after a while *everyone* in the game just ran him down if he was in their way.

I add my voice to the "no shield push among the Orlanthi" crowd - the Orlanthi are more likely to play games that focus on movement (whether afoot, horseback or in the air), rather than pushing matches. Earth-types would be more likely to get into pushing (especially with gravity-increasing magic on the "anchor" person!). Solars would probably consider that cheating, and wouldn't want to play with big, sweaty, earthy men. Eww! Ritual Contamination! So you probably won't see Solars and Earthy's playing in the same league. Earthy's probably are big tug of war style games, and probably american-style football, and possibly baseball type games (Running around the square...) too, come to think of it.

The various "run around and pass the ball back and forth" games (Rugby, Football/Soccer, Shinty, Lacrosse, Polo, etc) would fit the Orlanthi mind very well. And instead of a ball, they could use a disk - the various frisbee games come to mind.

There are also the traditional races, tests of strength (Invoking Vogarth to put the shot might be cheating, or just another "weight division"), accuracy (javelin, sling, bow), etc are pretty universal, with minor variations - enough rules to trip up foreigners who think they are hot stuff, until they are told that they have to run the course holding this heavy stone out at arms length...

RR
- Richelieu