Re: Baboons without Balls

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:10:13 -0000

Actually I had in mind the fairly hilarious croquet scene from Walter Jon Williams' book "The Crown Jewels." I can see a Baboon matron (or whatever you call them) pulling the same sort of trick on an outsider trying to negotiate with the troop, just to keep him or her off balance.

--Bryan

PS. In the scene in question, the hostess gives her visitor a red croquet ball, then keeps shooting his ball into the piles of recently fallen red kibble-fruit just off the lawn, forcing him to pick through all the over-ripe kibble fruit to find his ball. The humor really comes from the quality of the writing more than the scene itself, but it would still make for a dandy way to bring down anyone who looked down on baboons. Translating to Prax, the visitors specific rock keeps getting shot into nearby gravel beds (or piles of llama droppings?)