A Good End in Badside - Part LII

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:12:44 -0400

I was surprised to say the least, so much so that I blurted out, "What this? Is this the point in the story where the villain tells the hero all about his dastardly plans? How hackneyed," I started laughing out loud but then I stopped abruptly upon realizing that normally this happens just before the villain tries to kill the hero. My captor bared his nice white ogre teeth at me, no doubt attempting to put me at ease which of course failed miserably. What he said next suggested that he was reading my mind, "Please, I'm not the villain in some bad Lunar melodrama. I don't feel any obligation to expose my evil plots to you." A pause and another smile, "If I wanted you dead I would just kill you and get it over with. No overly elaborate death traps to give you an undeserved chance to escape." The sons guffawed at this statement.

Well wasn't that heartening? "And here I'd been hoping for a good old fashioned death trap so I could escape once you'd cackled evily and left me to my doom." I said swinging slightly back and forth. The ogre shook his head in amusement, reached over and poked me in the chest setting me to gyrating wildly. "I like you Treibonus despite your being your stupid enough to accept my invitation. So you know what I am going to do is to fill you in a bit on what's been going on." I was in no state to listen as my stomach roiled and I struggled not to vomit. Would it be throwing down?

The ogre reached over and grabbed hold of me stopping the swinging. He didn't grab me gently either, just like an ogre to show off his strength. At least when they don't have to hide their nature, that is. I've dealt with ogres in the past and they're another argument that chaos IS all bad. I'm still waiting to see some good chaos. But I digress. Once my head and my stomach had stopped spinning I gasped out a thank you and the ogre continued.

"You probably already guessed this but I have an interest in the local hazia
trade. There's two sides to the trade, neither of which is particularily above board considered the repugnance the Sun County, Pavis and Garhound County governments all officially have to the trade. However there's is a, hmm, more official channel to the trade that deals with the Lunar demand for the drug. This is the trade dominated by a trade association from Dara Happa."

I interrupted, "The Willowgreen association out of Raibanth." The ogre scowled and crouched down before me. Grasping my jaw in his hand he squeezed hard enough that I could feel my jawbone creaking and cracking. I saw stars and I vaguely heard him say, "I don't like being interrupted Treibonus. If I want to hear from you I will let you know." Once the pained look had left my eyes he continued.

"As I said before I like you Treibonus and you seem to know more than I
expected. But don't interrupt again." He paused again. "Anyway, that's the
"official" channel for the trade. They're the ones who don't get persecuted
by the authorities, so much anyway. Steady flow of drugs, big volumes, reasonable profits, but heavy overhead in the form of steady bribes. Now there's another channel for the trade as well and that's the independent entrepreneur like myself. We get our drugs, well you don't need to know that, we get our drugs and smuggle them out of Prax however we can. Lower overhead and higher risks, lots higher. But we do a pretty good business once we get established. But," here he paused again for effect, "The last thing we need is some out of towners coming in and trying to muscle in on our trade." Another pause. "Our margins are already stretched pretty thin and there's just enouh business to go around among the proper sorts." He stopped and eyed me expectantly. I managed to speak past my rapidly swelling jaw, "You mean ogres?" I asked mushily.

"Not necessarily," he replied. "I mean locals, or at least well established
foreigners like ourselves. Right boys." I glanced over at the boys. Big mistake as they had obviously decided it was lunchtime. I averted my eyes as they mumbled past their full mouths, "Right pops." And other such inanities. "Anyways, these Solars show up and decided they want to rewrite their delivery contract." I hazarded an um to see if I could ask a question. He nodded agreement and I continued. "Why don't they deal with the Willowgreen Association?" "Because the Willowgreen Association doesn't care to waste their time dealing with someplace so close to Prax. The volume and the returns don't warrant it. Once they get the hazia out of Prax they don't care to break up the shipments until they get to the Empire proper. That's where we local entrepreneurs shine. We deal with anyone, even supplying them if their suppliers can't deliver. I made a lot of money when that operation at Black Rock was closed down."

"But as I was saying I don't like outsiders trying to muscle in and I was in
no mood to be nice to that Cressidus Shithead." "But," he looked disappointed, "we didn't kill him. And I don't know who did kill him though they did us a favour there." I risked another interruption which was again rewarded by a nod so I continued. "But what about Balarus Reflected Glory?" The ogre looked puzzled for a second then smiled that smile again. "Oh yes, him. He thought we'd done it too. He had a lot of balls to call us on it too." (I didn't bother correctly the ogre's mistake as I'd long since decided they hadn't been responsible). The ogre looked extra scary for a moment. "Him we killed." "Isn't that bad for business?" I ventured. "Oh, no. Someone will take the trade at their end. There's too much money to be made."

He turned his back to me and spoke to his sons in what I was surprised to recognize, if not understand, as Carmanian. The sons immediately dropped what they were doing and started collecting their possessions. In short order the four of them were all packed up and ready to go. I readied myself for the end. The leader looked over and laughed at my fortitude. "I guess it's your lucky day Treibonus since I've decided not to kill you. Not outright anyway. There's nothing you can do to me anyway. Maybe I've gotten too soft or maybe I have read too many Lunar melodramas." He shrugged. "Either way I'm just going to leave you hanging there with the rest of the meat." The sons had gone already and he grabbed the dog's leash and started to go. The dog gave me an exceptionally soulful glance as he was dragged out. The ogre stopped just outside the door and turned to me again. "Oh by the way I'm taking all the wards down so it's anyone's guess as to what comes across you first. Maybe some hungry trolls, maybe a horny broo, maybe a equites in shining armour." He yanked on the dog's leash which yelped in protest and laughing loudly he waved goodbye and disappeared out of sight.

To be continued..

Oliver
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/stories/goodend.html