Re: Re: mixed worship in Umathela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:32:55 +1300

At 05:12 19/11/00 +0000, you wrote:

> > I don't think this is totally true for we are told that on p166 of
> > HW:RiG that there are "theists who practice ecstatic worship, in
> > addition to sacrifice", on p167 of same "sacrifice is occasionally
> > found among animistic or sorcerous cultures, though its use in
> > those settings is usually viewed as evil or wrong" and so on.
> > Certainly any magic learned from this might be much more difficult.

>If it was a single individual, I think it would be called misapplied
>worship. You're trying to do something that you know works from
>another magical system but you do not use it.

>Also, did that thing say that these people AS INDIVIDUALS practiced
>both. Bob here is our liturgist. I'm the guy who talks to Lord of
>Snow.

But when Bob venerates God, are you the talker-to-the-Lord-of-Snow in his congregation? If so, then you are following both magic systems.

In a glorantha context, there is the Pavis Yelornan Temple whose cultists come from a variety of backgrounds (Praxian and Heortling) and maintain links with their origins.

In Sartar, the question might arise of what happens if a tribesman uses a Kolati fetish or what might happen if he integrates a spirit.

In either of these cases (and more), any solution is hardly helped by statements to the effect that it shouldn't happen, ignore it and it'll all be for the better.

>Its better to just say 'one set of rules' until they get illuminated
>or something unusual like that.

There are quite a few situations in glorantha where it does happen and they are far less esoteric than you think. I do not believe an "ignore it" reflex is justifiable.

>I am, to be honest, not interested in
>how many Arkati can dance on the head of a pin but in how the game
>works and can be played enjoyably but fairly, particularly by folks
>new to Glorantha.

Since Ralios and Umathela do happen to be in glorantha and thus on-topic (unlike, say, discussion about the merits of pop groups), I don't see why I should have to put up with "I'm bored" messages from one who was fueling the debate in the first place.

--Peter Metcalfe