Re: Re: Zorak Zoran & Amastan

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:21:00 -0700

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> At 04:43 PM 8/21/03 +0000, you wrote:
>> Thanks Simon - your suggestion makes sense to me. Any thoughts on
>> relative numbers within each sub-cult?
>
> What's wrong with making it up? There's no official list that has
> the names
> of the Zorak Zorani Temples and the number of members in each subcult
> nor is there ever likely to be.

It's also going to be a slippery thing. What counts as being an Amastani? Having *any* spirits from the tradition? (In some temples, I bet every warrior has at least an "endure light/heat" spirit or the like. Trolls don't pay misapplied-worship costs in situations like this--the lines are blurry in the underworld.) Being a shaman? (Even in the most Amastani-centric areas, there are probably very few shamans.) Regularly using fire magic in combat?

These are the sorts of things that could change wildly from year to year, or even from season to season. (e.g. For mythic reasons, a particular temple might go very heavy on the Amastan stuff during fire season or death week, and not emphasize it as much at other times.)

Making it game-relevant--if your players are Zoraki (poor you), let 'em choose how they want to go. The whole point of being a Zoraki is being able to say "eff you" to all the local traditions.

If the Zoraki are NPCs, I'd play up the unpredictability of them. One day they might react in horror to any open flames. (Zorak Zoran is lord of the holy darkness!) Another time they might cheerfully throw a barbeque and smoke cigars. (Zorak Zoran has bound the burning death to our service!) And another time, they might be furious if anyone *but* them uses fire. (The burning death is *our* slave! You may not use it!) If the players try to figure out the Zoraki, they'll just get a headache. Now you know how Uz feel about 'em.