Re: Re: mixed worship in Umathela

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:00:38 -0500

Forwarded from Steve M.

> At 05:12 19/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>

> In a glorantha context, there is the Pavis Yelornan Temple
> whose cultists come from a variety of backgrounds (Praxian
> and Heortling) and maintain links with their origins.

We don't know that they maintain _magical_ links with their original cultures at all. All we know is that Yelorna is a goddess, and that her worshippers give her sacrifice, and from that worship gain one affinity. If you don't know that yet, you will soon, when the official Pavis keywords get posted to www.herowars.com.

> In Sartar, the question might arise of what happens if a
> tribesman uses a Kolati fetish or what might happen if he
> integrates a spirit.

I know the answer to both questions, actually.

> In either of these cases (and more), any solution is hardly
> helped by statements to the effect that it shouldn't happen,
> ignore it and it'll all be for the better.

If you are a theist, and you get a fetish from a spirit, you do not pay double or triple cost, because you are using the correct mode of worship for the correct type of entity. Depending on your culture, this is either
acceptable or not. If you are an initiate of a god, you can use fetishes,
but not integrate a spirit. If you have integrated a spirit, you cannot become an initiate of a god. If you have joined an order in the west as a
member, or become an apprentice sorcerer, you cannot integrate a spirit or become an initiate of a god. Therefore, the only mode of worship open to you to worship those entities and gain more potent magic is Misapplied
Worship.

Note that the above are not yet official rulings on how Hero Wars rules will work on the subject, but they seem likely to be accepted as such. For most societies, anyways, trolls, elves, and mermen are weirdos anyways.

> >I am, to be honest, not interested in
> >how many Arkati can dance on the head of a pin but in how the game
> >works and can be played enjoyably but fairly, particularly by folks
> >new to Glorantha.
>
> Since Ralios and Umathela do happen to be in glorantha and thus
> on-topic (unlike, say, discussion about the merits of pop groups),
> I don't see why I should have to put up with "I'm bored" messages
> from one who was fueling the debate in the first place.

Ralios I will grant Peter, though I do not understand in what context he is bringing it up as part of the discussion of Misapplied Worship, since I have not seen the whole thread.

But no one knows much _official_ about how the Malkioni or Orlanthi or Umathela act or worship. Sandy, Dave Dunham, and anyone else's work in those areas are not official, and we cannot assume that they are correct.
Not even Dave Dunham, despite his former expert status on that area. Thus, we don't know if they use Misapplied Worship in any way, shape, or form, as the old publications about it are heavily influenced by Runequest.

That is how I personally see the whole situation, anyways.

Steve