Re: Re: mixed worship

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:56:46 -0500

> My view is that misapplied worship is rare as the dominant form of worship.
> There may be places where most people misapply some of the time, or some
> people most of the time, but probably never for most people most of the
> time.
>
> >I wonder if instead of an increased learning cost, the default
> >resistance should be higher than 14.
>
> I quite like this idea, as it we could throw out the ugly extra HP costs.
> The only drawback is that it would (I think) have to be a generic +X
> resistance (or the ability will be weaker against inanimate objects but not
> against other people).
>
> Thom

Looks good on paper but the effect is somewhat different: Are they more powerful or not?

If the flaw of missapplied worship is a HP multiplier, then then it becomes progressively harder to increase the magical abillties compared to someone using 'purer' worship forms. Thus, the longer you worship, the less effective you will become with time. Now, it seems that the folks who are misapplied are not quite as powerful as those who are using more correct forms of worship. With this method you will never be truly powerful -- BUT it can be done at a the initiate/layman level with little difference in effect. They are not going to be going for monsterous magic (tm)

if the problem is a target number, then the common user will be penalized and the high-end magician won't notice any problem as increasing the resistance by 4 or 5 is trival when you have a high score. But to the casual user -- the people who form the bulk of these cults, a +4 to the target number renders most of their magic useless. And a cult's power derives from its worshippers rather than its 'star players' (though they help greatly, I think)

I'd prefer to take the former, and perhaps reduce the multiplier for 'we're getting the hang of it' missapplied worship. However, as has been said by a few folks in the know, missapplied worship is using the wrong method to contact something. In the end, using sorcerous veneration just doesn't work as well as sacrifice to a god. They are, literally, from different worlds.

That being said, I'm up for suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Jeff