OT: Stan Rogers - Heroquester?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:58:02 +1000

Not on topic, no way, never.

'Barrett's Privateers' and 'White Squall' are my Stan Rogers songs. My
favourite Aussie band, Weddings, Parties, Anything, who had a strong Canadian connection, often opened their live shows with an acapello
'Barrett's'

'Oh the year was seventeen seventy eight...'

To which the audience shouts back,

'OH I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW! (HIC!)
"A letter of marque came from the King
To the scummiest vessel I've ever seen
God Damn them all! I was told
We'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns, shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier
The last of Barrett's privateers."

'White Squall', with a little help from Guinness, can bring a liddle tear
to moi eye.

"But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted. They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted." But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall, And her lover's gone into a white squall."

Lots of Stan's songs seem ripe for filking,

'Oh the year was sixteen twenty one...'

How I wish I was In Whitewall now!
A arrow black came from the King
For a hero fight that the skalds will sing...'

but basically, I respect the originals too much. :)

John

John Hughes

Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649