Re: Digest Number 1393

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:14:38 -0000

I might have to take some blame on this. I submitted heartdrummers to the hero band contest (in some haste, without really thinking about whether anyone would use it). I was somewhat shocked to win. There followed some email with Greg, where he was concerned that it was not too useful in most campaigns. I argued as eloquently as I could in its defense....under the impression that it would be appearing in the hero bands book, not the core rules. I thought one essentially peaceful band that could mobilize large numbers of supporters would be a good fit there. When I saw the table to contents of HQ I was shocked to see Heartdrummers there. I agree that it is not the most immediately useful sort of band to have as just one of three in the core rules. (I also wish I'd thought of the Cloud Reavers in time for the contest, cause I think they'd have been awesome in the core rules).

Obviously Greg and whoever else eventually decided heartdrummers wouldn't be a disaster in the core book, but I probably would not have argued for their inclusion there.

For what it is worth, the secret of the usefulness of the heartdrummers is that they are supposed to be relatively willing to support heroic measures to preserve some of the old world. In my mind, there are skeins of drummers--elderly, mothers, the halt and lame--converging on the battle of iceland, lending some sort of support to the heroes fighting there, if only beating out a storm in sound, possibly blocking out some key imperial magic. They are probably also willing and able to provide community support to heroquestors trying to save some of the old ways....as would any hero band, but they are apt to be more numerous. Somehow I never got that into the abilities granted, but as I said, I did write it in a bit of a rush.

--Bryan