Re: HQ Opinions

From: bankuei <bankuei_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:26:26 -0000

Hi folks,

> 1. What do people think of the Homelands approach? Is there
enough
> of a basis there to start you off?

i really, really like it. It makes things a lot easier for me to grasp Glorantha, at least with something to kick things off. I also like that there are illustrations of the characters from that society, so people can get a visual mark on the style of it as well.

> 2. Do the changes in animism and wizardry make these
characters more
> interesting and playable? Are they clear and comprehensible?

I never could really fully grasp the magic system in HW, and this time I do understand it.

> 3. The original sample adventures in HW came in for a degree
of
> criticism -- what do you think of the ones in HQ?

I like the fact that the adventures are based around different themes, allowing folks who are interested in a certain style of play the ability to hop right in.

> 4. Treat the current book size as a constant: who else would
you
> have wanted to have seen included, and what would ou have
sacrificed
> to make way for it? The answer 'nothing, it's great as is' is an
> acceptable one, BTW!

I would have liked to have seen:

-More advice on "making your own myths and cultures" for new players
-More advice focusing on establishing immediate engaging conflicts(again, for newer players)
-More guidelines in the Narration section, particularly in regards to advice encouraging improv etc.
-Giving more space to the artwork(I'm a graphic designer, what can I say?)

In sacrifice:
- Compacting the information regarding the various forms of magic/religion. Perhaps either shortening the descriptions of the differences between the various levels of devotion within each one, and/or shortening the write ups of the example gods/spirits/cults, etc.
-Monsters/creatures

While both of these things are very cool, they're also things which can be downloaded or created by the group, whereas the pacing, and making Glorantha your own sort of stuff is the heart of the game to me.

I just wanted to commend you guys on an excellent job of examples, which I think are the highlight of the game. I like the fact that you took the time to give an example of how to make each character, and several examples of characters growing and changing in play(changing religion, etc.). Most notably, I like the fact that the examples highlight excellent communication and negotiation between the players and the GM.

Chris