Re: Re: HQ Bibliography

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 17:37:00 +1000

>TI:

>But no "Journey to the West" in the HQ bibliography list...why?
>http://www.glorantha.com/support/15.Bibliography.pdf

Any bibliography as broad as this yet limited to two pages is bound to be patchy.

I found the list inspiring and liked the way it took a few chances (Charmed? - hardly our demographic) and listed heroic (?) failures like 'What Dreams May Come' and oddball efforts like 'Yellow Submarine'. It included lots that was new to me in an area I thought myself a bit of a completist in. Which is how it should be. :)

I'm sure just about everybody's two-page heroquest bibliography would be extremely different. I was a bit surprised there were no comics - Sandman, Beanworld, Lone Wolf and Son... But once you start on lists like this, you can go on almost forever.

The published list *does* inspire curiosity and wonder, and I for one printed it out and folded it in my wallet next to my library card.

As for the good Wu Cheng En, there are few English translations available, and most of these are partial. Arthur Waley's was the first and still probably the best. For Australians certainly (the Brits as well?) it was the Japanese 'Monkey' television series that popularised the legend, with its dopey translation a core part of the charm. It was a wonderful part of growing up in the seventies and eighties.

So loyal disciples, partake of your silly accents and join with me in the mantra...

"In the worlds before Monkey, primal chaos reigned. Heavens sought order. But the phoenix can fly only when its feathers are grown.

The four worlds formed again and yet again, as endless aeons wheeled and passed. Time and the pure essence of Heaven, the moisture of the Earth, the powers of the Sun and the Moon all worked upon a certain rock, old as creation. And it became magically fertile. That first egg was named "Thought".

Tathagata Buddha, the Father Buddha, said, "With our thoughts, we make the World". Elemental forces caused the egg to hatch. From it came a stone monkey.

The nature of Monkey was... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ !!!!!!!!"

Cheers

John

"Born from an egg on a mountain-top..."

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/