Britain a part of Europe

From: Jonathan Quaife <jonathan.quaife_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:36:35 +0100

Ladies and Gents,

> Jane wote: We are NOT part of Europe, thank you!

Ladies and gents, as a somewhat well travelled Brit and a good Portuguese speaker with a Brazilian partner, I blushed a bit when I read Jane's comment speaking for "us". The "pro" and "anti" debate here in the UK is very much just that. Personally speaking I am a happy Euro spender (and earner, when I get the chance), but very much respect everybody's right to their own opinion, and of course to speak for themselves. Aside from the fact that I have enjoyed many wonderful moments in many European countries, I do feel obliged to mention certain geographical (to which even the staunchest anti-EU Brit must face up) and political (partly, but probably not sufficiently, referendum-based) realities which you can read about respectively at:

http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/euroquiz.html

and

http://europa.eu.int/

Cheers