Re: OT (?) Latin

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 00:37:16 +0100 (BST)

> "But apart from that, I propose that the European
> Union must be destroyed."
>
> "Censeo" is the verb used when you're putting
> forward a motion to a
> formal meeting. "Delendam" means "must be
> destroyed" not "will be destroyed".

Thanks: this is the sort of grammatical detail I was missing. I vaguely remember "delendo est Carthago", and could see that the word endings in this differed without knowing what that meant.

> It's an adaptation of a speech made by Cato
> regarding Carthage.

Repeatedly, I believe. To the extent that they did eventually invade Carthage if only to shut him up.

> Timeo Lunares et dona ferentes.

Quite! Look that horse in the (wooden) mouth, every time!

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/