Mines Of Engiziland After-action Report

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:35:25 -0700

Well, I ran another mostly-off-the-top-of-my-head game this past Saturday at ConQuest. ConQuest is held late summer (Labor Day Weekend) in the SF Bay Area. This year they had 1200 guests (www.con-quest.com).

While I had room for up to 10 players, only 5 showed up, and they took the Native Orlanthi Interpreter/Guide, the Native Arirae Tracker, the Rinliddi Big Game Hunter, The Holayan Missionary, and the Dara Happan Archeologist (err, Scholar). Interesting casting choices. The other characters available were the DH Military officer, DH merchant (head of the expedition), DH healer, Holayan Leader of Native Warriors, and Holayan leader of Native Bearers.

The players didn't notice anything wrong with the map, until I pointed out to the lack of the Upland Marsh.

The expedition bribed their way through the Tarshite rebels, then did a bit of Dino Hunting, the Big Game Hunter skewered his Gun Bearer on a Crit-Fumble against a Large 2w2 Triceratops, but they did manage to get away with a pair of Dino eggs (for the Emperor). A stop at the Dwarf's got them a jolanti hauling a cart full of cans of "food" (Orange = Meat, Green = veggies, and Yellow = Light, because I didn't bother to read up on Dwarf Cans from Different Worlds (Or was it a Wyrms Footnotes?)). Further south they ran into a Duck village, and the missionary *almost* converted them, but balked at specifically saying that the Red Moon could restore their Flight powers. So they were willing to listen, but only one duck actually converted (and became the Missionary's follower).

Then, because one of the players scoffed at "how bad could zombie ducks be?" I gave them a night-time attack by zombie duck throwing gobs of mud-and-bloodworms that they kept inside their ribcages. The Bearers left the expedition at this point, and a silly series of last-stands were attempted by the players (Why? Why not just run away? Ah, macho players!).

After the Zombie Ducks we came to the Quivini Mountains (the location of the Mines for this running of the game). A broad road led them into the mountains, eventually leading to a Lost City right about where Boldhome stands - leading to speculation about how Sartar "built Boldhome in a day". A long tunnel through a ridge led to the mines themselves, a direct steal from "Congo", including degenerate miners. The Archeologist looked back in time to see that the mines were abandoned after a strange glowing crystal was discovered. Ancient security measures locked the doors to the city behind the party, leaving them open to attack by "Lightning Fast 10w2" creatures. With time running out, and the threat of organized attacks by these creatures increasing, the Orlanthi and the tracker decided to attempt to cross the ridge and open the doors from the outside. They managed to do it ("Leap Safely" came in handy to get down the ridge as quickly as possible!), and escape. But they didn't achieve very many of their personal goals.

No Extended Contests, and pretty rules-free gaming for the most part. The strangest part was, after running games at Tentacles and Convulsion, only two beers were drunk during the whole game! American beers at that! A *very* different environment than the European cons (It didn't help that the Con was Alcohol-Free except in the bar).

I'll be running the Mines of Engiziland again at GenCon So. Cal. This coming December. Since its all made up while I'm running, its guaranteed that no two games will be the same.

RR
- Richelieu