Re: Alchemy Question

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 03:34:16 -0000

> The Great Scrolls mentioned in Tovald's Alchemical Record are the
> same ones found in "Plunder" - a little bit of homage to days gone
> by. They contain knowlege of sorcery, though the surviving scrolls
> are more concerned with alchemical processes.

I hadn't considered "Plunder" in my RQ2 investigations. I'm really losing my mind.

> The intent was that the alchemist would be able to use their
> spells to transform and alter materials into the kind of materials
> found in RQ 2 - healing salves, poisons, acids and so forth. The
> version that appears in Storm Tribe is considerably abreviated
> from the original -- justly so for they are an obscure subcult.

But an interesting one. I loved the presentation, which seemed to me to be exactly "on the money" and a great way to incorporate some quirky ideas from the old Glorantha. And the healing salves, poisons, antidotes, acids, and so forth aren't a problem. The problem is what in RQ2 I would call a "battle magic potion". This is what lead me to another consideration, on which more below.

> I suspect there's no love lost between the Esluvari scholars of
> Saint Ankorny and the Torvaldi.

After reading the section on the Church of St. Aeol, I wondered how much these "battle magic potions" the alchemists made resembled the spells fromt he grimoires of the Aeolians. I see that this wasn't as original an idea as I had thought. In any case, I still wonder how much they resemble each other...

Thanks!

Roland