Re: Gods with Infirmity?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:55:56 +0100

>I think, given the world-shattering terror of the Greater Darkness, there
>must be dozens. Not only of the Storm Tribe, but, dependant on culture, of
>every group that retains myths of the World Turned Upside Down.
>
>Whether they are worshipped or have formal cults is another matter. Most I
>imagine, are honoured in story more than rite,

For the Heortlings, I'd agree. However, for cultures with much larger and more urbanised populations, I can envisage actual cults (albeit minor ones) being more likely for this sort of thing, since it will be easier to get enough affected people around in a given city/area to do at least basic worship. The obvious example, at least to me, is the Malkioni. There's got to be a patron saint of blind people, and ones for other infirmities, too. Catholicism, after all, has at least two saints (Lawrence and Parasceva) specifically for the blind - plus at least a dozen or so who include healing the blind somewhere in their resumes.
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic