RE: Re: HQ Bibliography

From: Frederic Ferro <Frederic.Ferro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:30:05 +0200

Nick Brooke-sama surim muni:
> > A list of HQ comics should also include...
>
>Promethea, by Alan Moore, from America's Best Comics.

YES! Full of Heroquests, including a very cool "Nekuya".

>The Red Star, by Christian Goss, from Archangel Studios.
>
>Slaine the Barbarian, by Pat Mills, from 2000 AD.

I would add "Brath" (Chuck Dixon, CrossGen Comics). It is an imitation of Gladiator and Slaine but I think it is marginally better than Xena (which is in the filmography). Brath (or "Bradigus") is a woad-painted leader of the tribes of "Urland" (which is more like the Highlands actually, mixing medieval Braveheart and some parts of Boadicea's revolt), he is Initiate of the Stag-God (Cernunnos?) which grants powers of Diplomacy, his wife is raped (cf. Rob Roy), he has to fight Elephants (Salammbo), he is trapped by the Romans (Vercingetorix) and sent to the Games by a fat Emperor whose nephew seems to be a deranged Caligula-Nero-Commodius type (I Claudius, Quo vadis).

ObGlorantha:
Are there Games, gladiators and arenas in the Empire?

ff