Re: BBC does Heortlings v. Lunars

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:55:06 -0000

Well-done Sam! I feel that does indeed deserve a 'significant portion' of a Mars bar. I really should try and meet up with Keith again (in 'try' not 'meet', that is); so if he is successful in songwriting he can pass on your half, plain or deep-fried as takes your fancy.

Regarding Time Commanders...
> Unfortunately the programme was truly awful...

Erm... that's very dependent on context. From your mail it seems you missed last week's (which was, IMHO, 'truly awful')? Relative to that (Trebbia 218 BC), last night's was a definite improvement! The AI modelled the battle awfully last week; comparatively, the behaviour of the units last night was a little better, and, as you say, may be useful in envisioning or playing larger Lunar-Heortling battles. And the Lunars got massacred, which was a better result than the slightly forced conclusionlast week.

If any Heortlings did indeed see the programme, through whatever manner, then I think good ol' Mastakos will see a 300% rise in his devotees. The first episode gave an accurate idea of how a Teshnan elephant (as opposed to dwarfish African Forest Elephant) would behave against enemy units.

More importantly, the team last night gave some wonderful character models for, er ... 'Sub-Fazzur'... quality Lunar commanders and their relations.

The odd interesting snippet, though; daft as it sounds, I had no knowledge that woad was actually an astringent (d'oh). One wonders what properties of other dyes (madder, weld, kermes, whether real or made-up) can be tied into HQ abilities and Orlanthi myths...

Stu.