Beginner's Exercise

From: mcaveney_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:53:47 GMT

Got my copy finally and have been playing hooky to read it. I agree that it's a dramatic improvement - as organized and accessible as any roleplaying product I've bought recently.

Some computer programmers write a "Hello World" program as an exercise whenever they learn a new language; I have a similar exercise for Gloranthan game systems. The results are below for your amusement / horror:

Arquack is the last survivor of the Quawanwoli, the lost Durulz clan of the Colymar. He was educated by his mother, a healer and dentist, until she died in Starbrow's rebellion. Fleeing lunars into Beast Valley, he befriended a dream dragon named Ourshknos, who taught him Auld Wyrmish, the ancient art of Quack Fu, and introduced him to his dragon self. Finding a petrified dragon tooth taught him he was not a rock. He enjoys stupid cigar tricks, long walks on the beach, kneecapping lunars, and charming the ladies using the power of Barry White.

Arquack

Skills

Quack Fu 1W Kneecap Lunars 13 Flee Lunars 13 Stupid Cigar Tricks 13 Hold Breath 1W Nimble 12 Small 10 Swim 2W Healer Calm Patient 17 Carry Wounded 17 First Aid 1W Herbalist 17 Make Medicine 17 Recognize Disease 17 Treat Disease 17 Treat Poison 17 Dentistry 13 Auld Wyrmish 13 Dragon Pass Geography 17 Wilderness Survival 17 Heortling Customs 17 Speak Sartarite 17

Personality

Boastful 12

Relationships

Relationship to Quawanwoli 17 Relationship to Colymar 17 Relationship to Dream Dragon Ourshknos 13 Relationship to Dragon Self 13 Charming the Ladies 13

Magical Abilities

Petrified Dragon Tooth (magic item) 13 Selfrock Tradition Start Fire 17 Stop Bleeding 17 Blind Foe 17 Gesture to Ward Off Magic 20 Hide in Cover 17 Power of Barry White 18