Re: Maps as opponents

From: gjobbins <nuanarpoq_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:49:15 -0000

the party had to navigate the upper part of an underground palace to reach their objective - the underpalace where the McGuffin is. i couldn't face a potentially lengthy dungeon crawl so once they'd actually managed to get past the guardian and into the palace, finding the underpalace became a simple contest.

potential outcomes ranged from getting lost, not finding the underpalace and being attacked several times by hostile denizens of the upperpalace (complete defeat) through finding the underpalace after several days of exploration (after which supplies would be running low) and being attacked by wandering monsters once (marginal victory) to happening upon a map to the entire dungeon that would quickly lead them to the underpalace (complete victory).

it seemed to work well

> We're still down there, and the map is in the hands of
> Vern, an NPC LM scholar. He says it's a good map.

Vern would

cheers

guy