Getting girls gaming

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:22:55 -0700 (PDT)

I was casting my mind back to what I was keen on when I was 6-8. Animals were definitely top of the list. Horses, yes, but mostly butterflies and moths (and all other creepy-crawlies, too), and dinosaurs. (Yes, I was weird even then.) I don't know what the girl faves are these days, but you could also try unicorns, which of course brings in Yelorna and Pavis if you wish.

You might consider encouraging them to bring the stuffed animal of their (group?) choice. You can find almost anything in plush these days, even Cthulthu! (NOT a good pet, of course.) Props are likely to be a good idea in general. Yes, there may be some time used in grooming their mounts, but at least they're taking care of the animals.

I like the hsunchen idea, too. Since you want to introduce them to Glorantha very gently, it may be easier to let them have or be the animal of their choice. Encouraging them to tell stories about the animals to generate a character should work quite well. I think that you'll have to be the scribe to keep track of abilities, property, etc.

Good luck, and remember, our lot will be trying HQ sometime fairly soon ourselves; we'll let you know when.

Alison

The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com