Re: Digest Number 1431

From: Stacy Forsythe <deadstop_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:40:02 -0400

At 09:10 AM 9/29/2003 +0000, donald_at_... wrote:

>On the principle of keeping uncommon things simple, I would treat
>tapping as a magical ability where the tapping sorcerer declares
>how many points they wish to tap from the target and run a contest
>with their ability to tap against the target's magic keyword.
>Complete victory reduces the targets magic keyword by the points
>chosen and increases the sorcerers. Major victory by half, minor
>by a quarter. All are restricted by the actual value of the target's
>keyword. Ties and minor victories/defeats have no effect while
>defeats mean the sorcerer loses all (complete), half (major) or
>quarter (minor) of the points from their magic keyword.

The HW/HQ conversion rules on the Issaries site include a similar set of rules in the Anaxial's Roster conversion section, though that is for creatures with abilities that formerly used the Tapping rules rather than sorcerous Tapping per se. The only real difference between their version and yours is that the "standard" progression of results is used -- gain or lose 1 point for a marginal victory/defeat, 10% of ability for a minor victory/defeat, 50% of ability for a major victory/defeat, and 100% of ability for a complete victory/defeat. Also, individual abilities seem to be Tapped (and lost on a defeat) rather than whole keywords. I'm also pretty sure you can Tap things other than magical abilities -- the HW rules let a sorcerer Tap physical and mental abilities, relationships, etc., and it's said that the Brithini of Arolanit (tops on the "atheist sorcerer" charts in anyone's book) have actually Tapped the color and vibrancy of their land to fuel their magic. (Hmm, wonder if that would tie into the whole "weakening landscape beings" bit these days, if you look at it as drawing power from the surrounding environmental essences.)

Rather than straight-up adding the Tapped points to the sorcerer's abilities, I'd probably either go with Roderick's suggestion of letting them be used for an augment later, or else use something similar to the HQ rules for drawing upon reliquaries, though in this case the sorcerer would keep the points as a pool from which to draw bonuses and/or AP until they were exhausted.

Stacy Forsythe
deadstop_at_...