HippyQuest

From: Dougie <dougiepunk_at_...>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:13:31 +0200

only just managed to get hold of the rules and still reading them and while I like most of streamlining, one thing is really sticking in my throat though - DEATH, or more precisely, killing, or lack thereof.

We get a load of twaddle about the frex Bison Rider (paraphrasing as Iīm in a Net Cafe sans rules) "realising that he is far from home and if he kills this guy he musst kill everyone and so will get a Hate Everyone flaw" &%$%%&!!!! This is a Praxian "savage" who in IMG would happilly flay any ground-sticker, stake him out in the Wastes and lay bets with his mates on whether the sun, the scopians or the vultures will get him first, just to pass the time...

Even the book makes a small mention that some characters are going to have to kill in a contest BUT GIVES NO RULES or even suggestions on how to kill a downed opponent (execept that rubbish about donīt do it -tell that to a Storm Bully woith a "slightly wounded" broo at his feet.

Even the old HW "Coup De Grace" rule was pretty weak here, I mean, the Storm Bully downs the broo villain, misses his roll for a Coup de Grace... whatīs he supposed to do, just wander off and leave the broo sitting there, (or maybe according to the new book he should make him a cup of tea and discuss ways to remedy the broos phyco-sexulal misajustments). The new rules are even worst - surley heīs not expected to make a desperatly high (and dangerous) AP bid in a parting shot just to dispach the vermin.

So... can you just automatically kill an opponent who is down to - AP or what? I agree that in many situations people give up a fight when one side is really hurt and quarter will be asked for and given. Any weaponthane who runs a lad from the nextdoor clan through just for a bit of cattle raiding deserves a Heartless flaw and lack of social stading ect but there are many, many situations in Glorantha where the only outcome can be the death of one of the protagonists - how do we handle it rulewise?

This apllies NPCīs killing PCīs as well - I agree that this should generaly be avioded and alternatives found but in the case of a hungry walktapus downing a Hero, what other option is available other than slurp, yum?

Further to this, is a character (Hero or NPC) downed (-AP) but only slighty woulnded frex, going to give up if he knows for sure that he will die if he does so - surley a Hero losing to a gang of horny broo want stop fighting while thereīs breath lest in his body...

Rant over but I must say that this sort of thing is going to put newbes off , - canīt kill (and moralised to if you try) - thats stupid!!!!!!!!!!

"Do you want to make it impossible for
anyone to oppress his fellow-man? Then
make sure that no one shall possess
power."