Re: DeathQuest

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:18:22 -0000

One thing I would point out is that, technically, your chance to worsen someone's level of defeat is the parting shot. If your opponents is defeated, but not completely defeated, that is when you try to finish them off. If you fail then I would tend, unless story logic dictated it impossible or implausible , to suggest that they were beyond your power to harm further, at this time. In a fight they have probably fled (and unless you drive them to complete defeat you have not captured them - which is an objective all in itself).

In the logic of 'do not allow repeat attempts' that is all you get, the contest is a summary of all your attempts to affect them.

But you cry, if my opponent is wounded I could easily finish him off. That is a parting shot against a foe you have driven to major defeat and his -50% penalty reflects his injuries. But I could cut them down as they flee you cry? That is your Sword Fighting in the parting shot against his running. But I could chase after them? That is a parting shot with your running against his running. But I force him to surrender for ransom? That is your Intimidate against his Brave.

In the real world most battles end because somebody runs away.

One way to pick up on this is to consider the logic of the non-combat contest for comparison. In an argument your parting shot (which is your coup de grace) is your final argument designed to convince everyone you are more right. You do not run a second contest just because the heroes do not like the level of victory they got. At least not until time passes. You do not say 'OK now he is on a minor defeat you can render his arguments totally invalid with a quick turn- -phrase, no need to roll'. The contest is all your attempts.

If you really want to wipe out the opposition you need to go for the complete defeat. That takes big bids and, sometimes, hero points. Which is why fighting Broo is such bad news, because you have to go for the kill...