Re: First book suggestions

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:47:47 +0100

Paul Watson

>So, I'm ready to order HQ, and what I'm stuck on is which books I
>should start with, beyond the main HQ book. I can probably only pick
>up one, but I'm torn as to which one. Any suggestions?

I'd broadly agree with Nick, in that it depends exactly what you want (although, as he says, HeroQuest Voices is free, so that should be a no-brain decision :) ). I'd add that, when it comes out, I think Dragon Pass will be an excellent book for actual games, since it has so many locations and ideas in it, and really brings the setting alive - its the sort of book you'll probably get a lot of use out of. Rather more usefully, of those you can actually get now, I'd think that Imperial Lunar Handbook-1 and the two Sartar Rising books (Barbarian Adventures and Orlanth is Dead) are probably of most use to a beginner, with Thunder Rebels not far behind. But it does depend whether you're after a large area to adventure in, a single culture to use as a base, or scenarios you can get straight in and use.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic