Re: Re: KoDP

From: thorrbjorn_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:24:46 -0600

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
> Ebay is pretty decent for gaming purposes.

I'm just a little gun-shy after seeing a number of game auctions where they were selling just the CDs, not the box, manuals, etc. Though if I deal with someone with a couple-thousand good reviews, I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

[snip re: Cyberdungeon]
> I'm surprised. Perhaps you can send them an email? Not that they
> are
> all that good at replying to English speakers, I find...

My French sucks. I'll see if my Dad can do a translation.

> > Unfortunately, about the only game store of any size left in
> town
> doesn't order anything thats not d20/WoD/Rifts, etc. He
> specifically
> refuses to order anything RQ or HQ related.
>
> Really? Not even if you offer to pay him up front?

Well, he MIGHT just go for that. But knowing him, he'd probably add on 20% or so. Which, of course, would be in addition to his customary ~20% markup over MSRP on the books he normally stocks. Yeah, you read that right. Shocked the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

> Definitely taking the F out of FLGS.

Yep. Worst part is, his is the only game store of any size left in town. Which is why I have become a regular mail-order customer of a shop in Calgary :).

> Heck, with a guy like that, I'd almost consider running a demo
> there
> just to show him how fun the game is.

I'd ask, but he no longer has space for games. He's moved into a new, much smaller location (I'd guess maybe 1/4 the size of his old location, probably smaller). Its kind of cramped.

> What's the reason for his
> odd
> prejudice?

Oh, its not just RQ/HQ. Its anything that's not in the mainstream of popularity.

As for the reason, I couldn't really say. He epitomizes the expression "What happened to you, man. You used to be cool." I knew him for a bit, before he opened this store many years ago, and he was cool. Now, you can talk to people who live a few hundred of kilometers away who think he's a tool.

Personally, I don't bear him any ill well. I think it all kind of sad, really.

Take care,
Paul Watson
_|_