Beginning of session HP

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:22:56 -0400

David Dunham wrote:

>Camo
>
>>Page 58 states "At the start of each adventure, the narrator assigns
>>each hero 1 to 5 hero points." I've interpreted this (as, it seems,
>>have Tim & Jeff) as per session. I tend towards 3 but I might up it
>>since I like to see the HP fly.
>>

>We had (Hero Wars) Narrators who did give the award at the beginning
>of each adventure; if it took multiple sessions, too bad. An obvious
>compromise would be to give 3 at the beginning of the adventure, and
>1 at the beginning of a continuation session.

I am one of those "once per adventure" narrators, but your idea (1 extra point per session) might have merit. Much depends on the particulars of your game. A typical session of our game lasts approximately 2.5 hours, and a full adventure takes five or six weeks to complete. The first couple of sessions are intro and early rising action where few HP need to be spent. If I gave out three HP per session, they players would have a bundle available late in the adventure.

Another reason for my being stingy with HP is that we are playing a "saga" style game that spans decades of time, roughly one adventure per year. I don't want to have something like this happen: Narrator - "...and the dragons tear down the moon. The End." Player - "Ok... I put it back up then. I have Strong 20w12 so it shouldn't be much trouble. Anyone want to augment me?" ;)

I am trying a new house rule this time around that should help a bit, though. I have imposed a "max best ability rating" limit that rises with each passing year. Players can spend their HP however they want, but they can't exceed the upper limit. This sounds restrictive, but I am hoping that it will allow the players to use their HP more freely while preserving game balance over the long haul.

~Kevin McD