Re: The perfect introduction fro beginners?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:42:46 GMT

In message <3F98699E.2090509_at_...> "Moah, platypus powaaa!" writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm preparing a game for newcomers to Glorantha and HeroQuest, and I was
>wondering if there was a "perfect introduction for beginner" (aka "Hero
>Quest for Dummies") somewhere either in the book or on the net, that I
>could find and maybe translate (hence why i'd like to have it short) for
>them.
>Greg Stafford in his Daedalus interview speak of newcomers being able to
>make characters having read only 2 pages of the game, so i'd like to
>know what two pages he's thinking about, none of them striked me as a
>self sufficient introduction to the world and the game.

I think Greg's referring to the Homeland pages (38-57). Basically the GM selects a Homeland and gets the player to read that. The GM can then take them through creating a character. Personally I would also get them to read the appropriate HQ Voices (PDF file on Issaries site) which is another four pages as well.

It's probably necessary for beginners so they aren't overloaded with background and rules to begin with but it does put a lot of work on the GMs shoulders. I'd probably use the first session just to generate the characters.

When it comes to actual play they don't need to know the rules - they'll pick them up as they play. You just need to remember to explain all the options at each stage.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/