Masks and Ritual (story seed I can't use, please take it off my hands)

From: epweissengruber <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:36:36 -0000

I came across a really neat anthropological factoid that just cannot fit into my game. I am trying to think of a Gloranthan (Orlanthi, specifically) situation that might accommodate the following ritual, but I am stumped. Can you lot help me out?

"Masks are surrounded by rituals that reinforce their power. A Tibetan Mask was taken out of its shrine once a year and set up overnight in a locked chapel. Two novice monks sat all night chanting prayers to prevent the spirit of the Mask from breaking loose. For miles around the villagers barred their doors at sunset and no one ventured out. Next day the Mask was lowered over the head of the dancer who was to incarnate the spirit at the centre of a a great ceremony. What must it feel like to be that dancer, when the terrifying face becomes his own?"