A Good End in Badside - Part LVIII

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:13:17 -0000

Belvani shrugged his agreement and we got dressed. I checked with Juli who is a fount of knowledge and she told me where the Willowgreen Association had its offices. As it turned out it was only a couple of buildings down the street. I thanked her and we started to head in that direction. I stopped suddenly as I thought of something. I turned and headed in a slightly different direction. Belvani who had been cursing me for my unannounced direction change hastened to catch up and said, "Where are we going, Treibonus?" Without stopping I called back over my shoulder, "I want to ask Hallarax the Singer what he knows about this outfit." Without checking to see if Belvani was following I went into the Riverman's Guild offices, conveniently located in the same building as Juli's.

Behind the counter inside was a slight youth with bad pockmarks and pimples on his face. I stomped over to the counter and thumped on it. "I want to see Hallarax," I demanded. The youth jumped in their seat and said in a clearly feminine voice - I really am doing rather badly with gender identification these days, must be all the time I'm spending in the company of naked men, pity really - "Hallarax is too busy to see anyone right now. Would you like to make an appointment?" I shook my head in disagreement, opened the gate and barged past her. Belvani's lizard's hissed at her and that and her squeals of fear drowned out her protests. I made my way inward followed by Belvani and his reptilian shadow. A goon I recognized as one of the lot who had abducted me tried to get in my way but I pushed the button on my fake leg that extends the hobnails on my foot and stomped on his bare foot. Hard. That'll teach him to abduct people. He screamed and fell backward through the curtained doorway he'd been exiting through. I followed him through the opening to see a stunned Hallarax and a crowd of unknowns, to me at least.

Hallarax stood up and demanded in his beautiful voice, "What the hell's going on here Treibonus?" "I've got some questions I'd like to ask you Hallarax." He looked aggrieved and pointed at his thug who was sitting on the floor nursing his foot. "You couldn't make an appointment like anyone else?" I felt a trifle embarrassed at my rashness but this mystery was getting to me. That and the predominance of naked men I think. Anyway I shrugged and said, looking a little sheepish, "It's important." Halarax looked annoyed and turning to the unknowns said, "All right boys we'll finish this later. Can you take him with you." This latter request was in reference to the thug on the floor of course. The unknowns muttered irritated agreement and left dragging the floor goon with them. Hallarax irritably pointed at stools in front of his desk and we sat. He sat down, fussed with some knickknacks on the desktop and then glared at me. "What?"

I looked back at him calmly and said, "What do you know about the Willowgreen Association?" The question was like pouring cold water on him. He straightened up, lost the angry look and a fleeting look of unease passed over his face. "Why do you want to know about the Willowgreen Association, Treibonus?" he managed in a flat voice. Well this certainly looked promising. "I'd like to know whatever you have to tell me." He sat there and obviously considered the situation. He got up and walked over to the doorway where he carely lifted a corner and peeked out. He hurried back and sat down. Leaning forward he began to whisper to us.

To be continued (tomorrow)

Oliver