Re: Couple questions

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:44:11 +1100

>My second question is about the gloranthan background given in the Hero
>Quest book. It mentions the death of Orlanth and hunt for Boyant. Since
>I'm planning to run the Sartar rising adventures, I was wondering if
>these were spoilers for that, or if they were independant.

Both of these occur in 1621, and are common knowledge once they occur. The Issaries book 'Orlanth Is Dead' covers this part of the Hero Wars arc.

King Bryan of the Volsaxi becomes well known in Sartar during the Lunar seige of Whitewall, the last 'free' Orlanthi city. He is leader of the rebel forces trapped in the city. Most of the news from Whitewall will be wild rumour, peppered with requests for heroes to journey south to answer the call.

When Whitewall falls, the winds die. When the winds die, everyone in Sartar notices. Most Orlanthi magic fails. Fimbulwinter begins. Whether the god himself is dead, well there are contrary opinions, and these are discussed in OID.

So basically you can ignore these factoids until they occur (though the seige of Whitewall itself is a major extended campaign in itself, all but ignored in the official arc). If your heroes survive Fimbulwinter, then Bryan and the other rebel leaders become more important.

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/