Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:01:05 -0800

Jane

>OK so far. But it gets me wondering: just what, narrative-wise, is
>involved in devotion? Whether done in play or as part of the back-
>story, it seems likely to be a Big Deal. Learning nine new Feats is
>just the start of it.

It's never come up in our games (the closest was my Lhankor Mhy sword sage, who was working on the requirements to pass the tests). But I'd think that a key thing to determine is whether the character is being called by the deity, or voluntarily deciding to become a religious fanatic.

I think in most cases there wouldn't be tests conducted by the cult. After all, many clans or even tribes won't have someone who is devoted to the "smaller" deities (or subcults). Thus, who would be qualified to give a test?

The Narrator might wish to sprinkle tests into the game (or have an MTV-like series of short scenes, some of which might actually be flashbacks). But these would be more pivotal moments than formal tests. (To borrow John's example, you could replay Broddi's first kill, and have him make the appropriate virtue rolls.)

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html