Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:37:31 +0000 (GMT)

True.

> >Definitely YHMV, then. That sounded like the end
> >justifying the means.
>
> The same could be said of making the "test" real.

If a "victim" is available whose death really is justified (according to Humakti rules, anyway!) then no.

> I would say that
> if you allow Humakti with some degree of human
> attachment then
> requiring the death of human they care for just to
> achieve Devotion
> is - in my view at least - going a bit too far.

It's one option among many.

> And then again, Humakt is about doing what is
> necessary, even if it brings shame.

True.

> >If the guy's only got one friend, he'd probably be
> >facing a different test. Sounds like he hasn't got
> >much left to learn about Humakt being more
> important than friends.
>
> More likely he's neglected his other Relationships,
> established no
> new ones and only associates with the other PCs.

As a player, yes. So the character is as I describe: in-game, and ignoring the fact that he's a PC, why does he do this?

> >Look at the virtue, skill, affinity or whatever
> that
> >they need and have at the lowest level: then test
> >that.
>
> Always the best ones to play out, I would think,
> just because they
> are the ones most likely to fail.

Exactly. For initiation, I might pick the skill they're best at.

> Well unless you erase the character from reality
> they ought to at
> least try for Discipleship, even as an NPC.

Well... the option should be there, I agree. But as yet I have no idea how to handle it.

> And I don't remember any
> accounts of mass slaughter of friends, relatives or
> even subjects
> associated with the Household of Death.

Nor me: nor do I know of any evidence that they were Disciples, though, since the term wasn't invented at the time the HofD was written up. What have you found?

OTOH, read ST p 97, and you'll see some sample Disciples of Humakt. "wiped out ten villages..." "killed everyone in three towns..." they're not nice people!

Jane Williams

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk