Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 13:20:16 +0000

"Moah, platypus powaaa!" <MOAH_at_...> writes:

>Does that make Buffy a humakti?

Probably. Does this sound like a Humakti devotee/disciple quest to you? (Note that the identity of the "First Slayer" should be obvious to any Gloranthan) :)

(from the script of 'Intervention' in BtVS season 5)

Buffy wakes up slowly to find herself lying beside a large blazing fire. She sits up. She looks out, beyond the fire it's still the dark cold empty desert. Slowly she becomes aware of a figure on the other side of the fire, barely visible through the flames. Buffy strains to see who it is.

"Hello? Who's there? I know you. You're the first Slayer."

"This is a form. I am the Guide."

"I... um... Okay. I have a question. This Slayer thing. What about...
love? Not just boyfriend love -"

"You think you're losing your ability to love."

"I didn't say that. [pause] Yes."

"You're afraid that being the Slayer means losing your humanity."

"Does it?"

"You are full of love. You love with all of your soul. It's brighter
than the fire, blinding. That's why you pull away from it."

"I'm full of love? I'm not losing it?"

"Only if you reject it. Love is pain and the Slayer forges strength
from pain."

"Yes."

"Love. Give. Forgive. Risk the pain. It is your nature. Love will
bring you to your gift."

"My what? Sorry... It's just, I got a little lost when we got to the
gift department..."

"Love will bring you to your gift."

"Yeah, that's what you said, alright. What? I'm sorry, but I'm just
not getting this. I'm full of love. Which is nice to know. And then... love will lead me to my gift?"

"Yes."

"I'm getting a gift? Or do you mean I have a gift to give to someone
else?"

"Death is your gift."

"Death - is my gift- "

"Death is your gift."

"Okay. No. Death is not a gift. My mother just died and I know about
this. It's not a gift I want and it's not a gift I want to give to anyone else. If I have to kill demons because it helps the world, then I kill demons, but it's not a gift to anybody."

"Your question has been answered."

The Primitive and the fire DISAPPEAR. Buffy stands alone in the middle of the big cold desert.

Stephen