Re: Pol Joni and worship

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:51:15 -0500

Graham Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
>
> > It'll be in upcoming stuff but when I asked the same question, I was
> > told that if you're an initate, you can't get any Tradition Knowlege OR
> > use Fetishes. if you're integrated a spirit, you can't worship or gain
> > Divine Aid.
> >

> Presumably this doesn't stop someone joining the religion - even
> participating in the rituals, they just end up with 'the wrong sort' of
> magic. So a theist gains feats from a spirit cult, but at the misapplied
> worship penalty.

Probably. IF that sort of cult exists in the community/clan/tribe.

> Or is this intended to be a total block?

Pretty much -- misapplied would be your best case. My understanding (no doubt flawed) is that these folks count for community participation but not much more... And you can't learn too much because you're not Initiated or in the Tradition (in either sense of the word). The Pol Joni are in a weird state of flux -- it looks like they are slowly turning into a Praxian Tribe. Given more time, they will be just like the rest.

> > And Tradition Knowlege is a bit of a misnomer -- its one who is a part
> > of the various bargains and agreements between People and Spirits.
> > Something an initiate can't participate in - he's made his choice.
> >

> Sure - its the animist equivalent of 'Initiate of' or possibly 'Worship
> XXX Pantheon' depending on the tradition...

Yes. But the act of Initiation, Integration or Joining an Order is what 'locks you in' to a magical methodology. I suppose I could make a case for someone with Tradition Knowlege and no integrated spirits participating...

> > Of course, if you forfeit ALL your magic, you can start again in a new
> > paradigm... from the beginning.
> >

> <SMILE> Don't see my players quite wanting to do that...
>
> Cheers,
> Graham

Much to my surprise, I do.... Startled me. But then some players are masochists...

Jeff