Re: White Moon HQ

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:10:20 -0800 (PST)

Gavin Kenny wrote that he needs help in formulating a HQ involving these characters to raise the White Moon,

"1 Initiate of Humakt, 1 Opilli Initiate, 1 Yelmalian Desert Tracker, 2 Lhankor Mhy Initiates and an Issaries Initiate.".

I do agree that the main problem that you may have is not dreaming up a HQ that involves all of your PC's, but why they would want to do this? After all, everyone is rather accustomed to a world in which violent bloodshed is normal. The Red Moon may be despised or hated by them all, but at least it's a known quantity. What kind of world will the WM cause to come into being? Going on a huge, dangerous HQ that will alter the whole state of being is rather different from just pissing off the Lunars by giving aid and comfort to an enemy of the state.

Peace and tranquillity are better for merchants and loreseekers (possible motives for the Issaries and LM), but not the best environment for the militant Humakti and Yelmalions.

The Opilli initiate might go along with it just because it would cause vast confusion in the ranks for the hobnailed conquerors of Pavis. However, even Pavisites can't deny that Pavis has become a fair bit richer through the Lunar occupation. Do they want to become the old backwater/big fish in small pond that they were? (Sorry, I've been running a River Voice for years now - I automatically think in watery metaphors these days.)

So, before you spring the actual HQ on them, I would work on getting their motivations into line. Make those players decide that their PC's would fervently want to perform this HQ. Use all the usual hooks - appeals to their honour, a corny love plot, visions of a happier future, proddings from their gods; whatever works. If one looks back to the original raising of the Red Moon (and I was there!), motives were mixed, to say the least. Revenge, love for one's people, female liberation, etc., they were all in the pot.

The next problem: why are these people necessary? Courtesy of Ian, my better-versed half: the Humakti would be necessary to kill the Death of the Red Moon. When I confessed puzzlement over this paradox, he reminded me that the Red Moon Goddess has a Death aspect, which is presumably missing in the conception of the peaceful aspect of the White Moon. So, your Humakti needs to somehow kill/sever only part of the Red Moon, which should complicate the usual all-or-nothing attitude of most Humakti towards killing. You could also assume that this might also include the Chaos aspect of her, but I don't know White Moon theology well enough to know if she is supposed to be able to bring peace to Chaotics as well.

And yes, I immediately thought of Chalana Arroy priestesses involved in the ceremony, with consequent Lightbringer's Summons to the Issaries and Lhankor Mhy for tasks that only they can perform. The Humakti could be ostensibly hired as a bodyguard on the mundane and otherworldly planes for the CA, and the sacred function for which he is needed is then not quite so immediately apparent.

A minor Quest to find a necessary piece of equipment that ties in to the main HQ could certainly be tailored to the Opilli or Yelmalion. If it also is one of those 'can only be safely handled/used by member of 'x' cult', then you've got another tie-in.

Whatever happens, do let us know!

Alison

Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree