Re: White Moon HQ

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:19:52 -0000

Another variant (which might avoid player whining of "what do you mean we couldn't tell the difference between them?" is that it is still the white moon priestess, still planning the quest in all good intent.

The only problem is, she's doing the wrong quest.

It could be hard to replace a priestess, but much easier to fake a messenger, supposedly coming from another of the (widely scattered) priestesses, with a scroll describing the myth guiding the quest. "Finally," the scroll says, "we have found the path that will help our cause, we all have to do this quest at the same time, and that time is soon! Just follow the attached instructions." The time is soon, so that the white moon priestess doesn't have much time to do further research or to send a messenger to confirm things. Just to back up the story, they may have planted a few relevant fragments in Pavis--I suppose in the library, but it could be done with story tellers too. Nothing too heavy there, but something that seems to confirm one or two pieces of the myth.

Given how the moon stories are all about one turning into another, dying and being reborn, and so on, it seems to me that the mythic perversion shouldn't be too hard.

Of course, you may want to give the heroes enough of a chance to figure things out before finishing the quest. Perhaps one of the foes drawn into the quest is someone they previously thought of as an ally? Maybe something in their own mythology makes it obvious that striking the left side instead of the right side seems wrong, once they can see which side is dark and which is light. Maybe the LM hero will have done his own research, and will recognize one station as belonging to a sedenya myth?

Of course, what can they do once they realize they are on the wrong path? Carry things through to the end, but try to change the result? Try to abandon the quest and find their way home through the gods war? Deliberately (but heroically) fail?

Anyway, whatever you do, have fun with it!

--Bryan