Re: Examples...

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:50:50 -0000

For what it is worth, Chasing Kites is an evolution of a scenario that I first wrote (Jeff Kyer "merely" made it good). It was originally written for HW, to go through an escalating complexity/abstractness of rules.

It was supposed to have a couple of simple ability checks at the beginning (improvising a bridle, mounting bareback, using a movement skill to keep up with the kite), followed by simple contest (keeping control when encountering the pigs, bargaining for passage through neighboring clan lands), followed by either a group simple contest or a short extended contest against the hunters at madman's table, followed by a more complex extended contest the next day, trying to climb a cliff against active opposition.

Uh yah, that last part went away. As I said, Jeff made the scenario much better, bringing the climax to where it should be amongst other things. And of course, in HQ there are no ability checks.

As it is written now, I would run it one of two ways, depending on the group:
1) What I would consider the default: simple contests everywhere until it comes time to defend the kite at the madman's table. There I would probably run one extended contest throughout the night, with different strategies being different bids in the contest.

2) If I wanted to play it that the raven was trying to get away (rather than lead them to the madman's table), and the group included a lot of heroes who weren't all that combat oriented, I might shift the focus to the chase and away from the defense at the end. Possibly run the whole chase as one long extended contest, with things along the way being played out as either bids or unrelated actions for augments ("The raven leads you into another clan's land, how are you going to defend against that?" ......."I'm sure this clan would be willing to hire out a guide to us, and that would make us faster. So I'm going to augment with my wealth" and so on) Done that way, the defense at madman's table could either be done as another extended contest, one big group simple contest, or other ways, depending on how the mood and time was.

--Bryan