Re: Re: Humakti Devotion

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:51:08 GMT

In message <bpifpm+2jcc_at_...> "Tim Ellis" writes:

>My original question was not how the Humakti could escape the
>personal consequences of his actions, but how he could prevent those
>consequences from affecting his kin. If an Orlanthi kills someone on
>a cattle raid, for instance, he and his kin are expected to pay the
>weregild, and if they can't or don't then he and his kin are
>legitimate targets in revenge attacks as the feud escalates. If a
>Humakti (in an Orlanthi clan) kills someone then his family are not
>included in any judgement as he has severed himself from them - He
>can still be asked to pay the weregild and/or be targeted by angry
>relatives of the deceased. So my question was, when you find out
>you've accidently killed the Chief's eldest son can you join Humakt
>to protect your immediate family from any reprisals? Just as with a
>Lunar theif escaping Lunar or Dara Happan justice by joining Danfive
>Xaron this is not intended to be an "easy option" (and the Humakti
>honour may still demand that weregild must be paid in such
>situations - you can't just run to the temple and rely on the Cult
>squashing any feuding relatives who come looking for you).
>
>Maybe that's where many of the Humakti mercenaries come from.
>Warriors who are paying back the cult (with interest) for the
>advances made to pay weregild they owe others

I would suggest this is one of the grey areas of Orlanthi law. In other words whether the weregeld is due from the killers family or the cult will be decided on preceedent and will vary from tribe to tribe and even clan to clan. It's not likely to happen often simply because I don't see Humakt accepting anyone without a serious commitment.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/