Re: Ex Krarshti humakti

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:03:54 -0000

> >I don't see how you can separate> >honor from Humakt without
getting Urain, Shar-whatever, or something> >equally nasty.

> Given that disciples can butcher women and children without falling
> afoul of Humakt, the answer surely is that Humakti's honor is not
> the same thing as Sartarite honor.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Point taken. However, one of the things that makes Humakt so interesting is this tension between honor on the one hand and death on the other. Not that they are necessarily opposed, but the death association has the tendency to slip into slaughter, while honor through its connection to truth has the tendency to pull towards rightness and justice (which may or may not support slaughter, but requires something additional to do so).

Humakt is much less interesting when the death aspect is emphasized to the near-eclipse of the honor aspect. "I kill it" is just not a very dynamic or thought-provoking worldview. Nor, for that matter does it have much chance of survival as a system of belief. How do you organize a bunch of people whose only response to obstacles is "I kill it"?

On the other hand, over-emphasizing the honor aspect doesn't do justice to the horror associated with any god of death.