My Answer to the Humakti Escape Question

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:39:32 -0800

Amigos,

I am generally happy to let all of the Humakt esoterica carry on by itself. Overall, I find the ultra-fascination with him to be indicative of something in the players, though what that may be varies from moment to moment with me.

Nonetheless, this question below has passed by my view too many times to let it go again. Perhaps more important tome is that this DOES bring up the question of Orlanthi Law.

>My original question was not how the Humakti could escape the personal consequences of his actions, but how he could prevent those consequences from affecting his kin.

The short answer is NO.

>If an Orlanthi kills someone on a cattle raid, for instance, he and his kin are expected to pay the weregild, and if they can't or don't then he and his kin are legitimate targets in revenge attacks as the feud escalates.

Yes,of course. We ought not to think of individuals inthis kind of thing at all. It is not a person who killed the man, it is a kin group that killed him.

>If a Humakti (in an Orlanthi clan)

If he is a Humakti who has done the severing, and not done the half-way mesure of resheating himself, then that umakti HAS NO CLAN. There is no such thing as a "Humakti in a clan."

>kills someone then his family are not included in any judgement as he has severed himself from them -

Absolutely correct. He{s not in the clan.

>He can still be asked to pay the weregild and/or be targeted by angry relatives of the deceased.

Yea, sure, the wame way that you could ask a river that drowned your son to pay weregeld, or ask a tree whose limb fell of in a storm and crushed his head to pay weregeld. Ask and ask, but no one in their right mind expects to be paid. Humakti are forces of nature, not people.

>So my question was, when you find out you've accidently

Here, as an iside, I gotta ask: accidentally? Harhar har. "Oh honest, sir, I meant to put my spear onlyt hrough his lung,not his heart!

>killed the Chief's eldest son can you join Humakt to protect your immediate family from any reprisals?

The long asnwer is NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! No one cares if you chickened out and joined some foreign cult of force of nature cult. The relatives of the dead guy know your clan killed their beloved son, and they are going to come after that clan with everything they have. The individual killer is of no consequence. Joining Humakt gets no more respect than if he left the country or killed himself.

>Just as with a Lunar theif escaping Lunar or Dara Happan justice by joining Danfive Xaron

There is no real comparison here. None at all. Danfive and Humakt have almost nothing in common, either as deities, individuals, social gods or forces of nature.

>this is not intended to be an "easy option" (and the Humakti honour may still demand that weregild must be paid in such situations -

Humakti honor has nothign to do with this.

> you can't just run to the temple and rely on the Cult squashing any feuding relatives who come looking for you).

That is absolutely correct. And frankly, most of my Orlanthi would have nothing but contempt for any person who tried to take this way out.

>Maybe that's where many of the Humakti mercenaries come
from.

Nah. the mercenaries are guys who like to kill things, or feel they have to, or want to, or whatever affection they have for death, dead people and makingthem that way.