Re: HQ newbie questions

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:05:45 -0500

> Actually, if you look at the ability to succeed
> against a default
> resistance, the starting heroes aren't too tough.

> Where this can be hard to reconcile is with glorious
> write ups. It is easy to say "Archie is known as the hero of the
> battle of Blood Hill, where he siezed Arkat's spear and was awarded
> Heort's armring."

Needn't be a contradiction. To take an example from more recent history, in the British army's Peninsular campaign (Napoleonic wars) a newly recruited Ensign could and sometimes did volunteer to lead a 'Forlorn Hope' during an assault on a fortified city - an all-volunteer force that was first into the breach. If the commander of such a unit survived the reward was an instant promotion to the next rank. Made him a hero, but said nothing about his fighting skills.

I'm sure there are similarly dangerous magical roles that a Gloranthan warrior could volunteer for.

Andrew