Re: Newbie questions

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:06:33 -0800 (PST)

I knew that I could depend upon the list for heaps of help! Thanks for the clarifications. It is now very obvious to Ian and me that this is truly a different game from RQ. What is needed now is practice if we wish to carry on. Whether we stay with HQ will now depend on all of us, though Bryan has very kindly (and I'm really looking forward to seeing this) volunteered to show us in person. Can't think of a better person either, (though I wouldn't say no if you'd like to fly over, Nick).

It's also plain to me that we play differently from a lot of people. Our games, though there are short, sharp moments in them, Jeff, do often include a lot of set-up and discussion on how to cope with whatever problem has cropped up. Sometimes our characters would really have the time to do that; sometimes they wouldn't. We also plead guilty to lots of conversational digressions, Michael, since fortunately we're not under convention pressures to get through.

As was said in the last HQD, this is a game for heroes. That, at heart, may end up being the crux of it. Does our group want to play heroes? When I look back on 25 years of gaming, the stories that come to mind first are not the combats, but firstly, real roleplaying, and secondly, the clever ways that the players have used rather limited resources to solve open-ended problems. I'm not saying that this can't and doesn't happen in HQ, just that the emphasis on drama in the rules seems so great that this approach is less valued.

Once again, my thanks.

Alison

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/