Re: Newbie questions

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:44:06 -0800

Alison

>It is now very obvious to Ian and me that this is truly a different
>game from RQ.

Correct!

>As was said in the last HQD, this is a game for
>heroes. That, at heart, may end up being the crux of
>it. Does our group want to play heroes?

The rules are entirely supportive of a "stickpicker" game if that's what you want. There's nothing that says that characters have to swagger around with a lot of masteries. And don't forget, even the boat Snapper, which proved so useful, started with a rating of 13 -- hardly overpowering magic.

>the stories that come to
>mind first are not the combats, but firstly, real
>roleplaying, and secondly, the clever ways that the
>players have used rather limited resources to solve
>open-ended problems. I'm not saying that this can't
>and doesn't happen in HQ, just that the emphasis on
>drama in the rules seems so great that this approach
>is less valued.

I think it may simply be that the resources are often somewhat different. In our Dawn Age game, we had to come up with regalia for the new city we were founding -- I think almost everything came from magic items that were on people's sheets (but creatively interpreted).

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html