Re: Esrolian setting background?

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:19:16 +0100

Bryan :

> Is there anything released with info about climate, crops, etc in
> Esrolia?

Not yet.

But French zine Les Erudits de l'Ambigu n� 4 will appear in 2004.

;-)

> I'm guessing a roughly mediteranean climate,

... roughly ...

> supporting year round
> crops and warm weather fruit trees like oranges, lemons, and peaches,
> not to mention olives.

Flamal's Three Gifts are the Olive Tree, Fig Tree, and Vine.

We haven't thought about the other fruit trees, but you're undoubtedly right.

We haven't worked out the details of the Esrolian winter, also.

> Probably in some years a nasty Valinding
> makes it out of Dragan Pass

The Ui winds blow from Ice Mountain in the West.

Arrowmound hammers the land during the cold seasons.

Valind isn't a big influence IMO.

> and past the mythic husband protectors
> (i.e. the shadow plateau and the high pressure off of the warm
> Mirrorsea bay) to cause problems, but this would be an exception not
> an annual occurence.

Elmal and Heler struggle against such occurrences.

> Because part of the year would be quite dry and
> there are many rivers (coming from surrounding territories), there is
> probably quite a bit of irrigation.

No problem with water, especially since the CreekStream River was deviated away from its original subterranean course to the Marzeel.

> There is probably a lot of river traffic, especially to deliver
> enough food into the cities.

Well, I think the _major_ rivers are actually relatively unnavigable.

> Despite the many rivers, water mills would be rare as the land is
> pretty flat,

Actually, the land can be described as a number of low plateaus, cut through with many valleys, and rocky outcrops jutting forth here and there, rocky outcrops especially in coastal regions.

And two genuinely hilly regions.

> and while there are many major rivers flowing through
> the land, there are probably not large numbers of smaller streams
> with enough flow to power mills.

Yes there are, especially into the Gorphing

Esrolia is the Land of Rivers : that should be indication enough.

If not, remember that in western Esrolia, the dominant weather god is Heler. No water shortage there ...

> Because the land is so heavily
> settled and wood lots are scarce,

There are orchards.

> and for mythic reasons, most
> building will be primarily of stone.

or brick, or clay, or wood, or ...

The important thing to remember is that many patriarchal customs endure in Esrolia's matriarchal society, including prehistoric tribal civilisations.

> Because the land is seldom
> upset and the buildings are of stone, they are often long lasting,

Storms and earthquakes are less common than in Dragon Pass.

;-)

> so you'll often step down into buildings.

:-)

> For mythic, practical, and esthetic reasons, window
> baskets and roof top gardens are probably common, growing not just
> flowers--although I'm sure one of the major cities is nick named "The
> city of flowers"--but also herbs and vegetables.

Definitely.

Julian Lord

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.