Re: Re: Tabletop Miniatures Question

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:58:45 -0800

> > Does anyone know if Tabletop Miniature is still producing their
> > Gloranthan minis?
>
> Don't think so, Dave. There are the limited-run 'Gloranthan
> Classics' (the Archive minis from 25 years ago) sold _at_
> http://www.dragglestown.com/ and new ones from Lance & Laser (see
> http://209.238.203.66/products/ll_minis.html)
>
> (And, of course, the cheap and colourful Paper Wars alternatives --
> see http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/ph/ph.html!)

Historically it has been near impossible to get TT minis, but here is the official address (as of Sept 2002):

102 Habershon Street
Splott, Cardiff, Wales
CF2 2LD, UNITED KINGDOM
(02920) 486978
(07702) 908575 [mobile phone]

The Gloranthan minis were renamed in non-Gloranthan ways, so you will find "Solar soldiers" rather than "Sun Dome Templars", etc.

The quality of the sculptings is highly variable - some are nice, some hideous (and not in a good way). Size varies from "True 25mm" to 32mm or more - the Lunar Antelope Lancers would look okay on the back of an elephant!

For true Gloranthan minis I'd go for Lance & Laser (I just got some preview copies of an upcoming Lunar release - yum!), but for most things various Ancients ranges work fine. Celts & Vikings work well for Orlanthi, I've used Romans, Assyrians, Persians, "Fantasy Arabs", Moors, Greeks, Macedonians, Indians (Both from India and America), Huns, Turks, Polish Lancers, etc for Lunars (it's a *big* empire!)

It depends on if you're a collector and so want the whole set, or a gamer who wants to game around the tabletop. While I have no gripe with Paper Warriors, it's just not the same as pushing lead.

RR
- Richelieu