Re: Treasure Trove of Esrolian Info

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:25:15 +0100

Bryan wrote:

> To answer my own question....so long as you can read french, go to:
> http://kethaela.free.fr

Well, thanks :)

(let me bask in this nice and warm feeling for a few minutes)

> In one word, WOW! Everything holy country, incredibly well
> organized.

Still many holes in it, that are filled as time permits. There is nothing on Heortland as we all stepped back seeing the mess this place is. Maybe one day we will understand it and write something.

> Visually very nice too ( you can choose color schemes for
> any of the factions of the holy country!). This site is really
> incredible. I believe it is the result of collaboration of quite a
> few people over quite some time, and seems to be getting regular
> updates.

6-8 persons, one year and a half, maybe two years now. We try to put new things every month or so.
Last time we tried to put it all into a single file, it was 350 pages long, with a 15 pages index. Oh well, nice place to write on, I suppose. And still so many things to say...

> So if you can get by reading french, go take a gander....but be ready
> to spend a LONG time once you start looking, as there is a lot there.
>
> -Bryan (who is suddenly glad he stuck out a few years of french
> immersion schooling)

If anyone is interested, we always have this looong project to translate it one day. *shrug* At least that way we could have discussions with you about it. We do not so much look for potential translators as for english speaking persons who could "smooth up" our tentative english translations. So speaking french is not compulsory to help us on this. All willing persons are welcome !

The buts :

> OK, great though the site is, a couple of disclaimers:

> - It is all unofficial.

Of course it is :)

Btw, it also tends to describe the Holy Country with Belintar still there. So we have a still-opened City of Wonders and a Belintar's cult. Maybe Kethaela as it was in 1615 ST or even 1600 ST. That's when we tend to play. We love the God-King. May His Immortal Majesty, the Perfect Man, the Sixthfold Sovereign, rule forever !

> Of course fan sites generally are, but I
> don't think Greg speaks French, so I'm pretty sure he's never seen
> any of this material. Ditto with most of the other powers that be I
> suspect. Which means if the area is ever covered in english it could
> come out quite differently

It certainly would. The Caladraland article in Pyramids was also quite different from what we wrote (many many gods and goddesses in the jungle, and some Twins worship remnants on the coasts). But we tried to follow as closely as possible what was officially published. OK, I won't pretend we already included the esrolian magical societies and Imarja everywhere, but we will :)

If anyone has some ideas about what these magical societies look like, I'm interested. Are they clan centered or village things or family centered or more like guilds or more like Dara Happan Associations ? (I get the feeling people will answer 'yes')

> - They have the strange idea that rainy weather is ideal for grain
> crops. This is interesting when you consider the `bread baskets' of
> the ancient world were places like Egypt and Sicily, and of the
> modern world places like the Ukraine or the north American prairies.
> What all of these places have in common is very high levels of
> sunlight, mixed with just enough moisture. I'm just going through
> the site myself, so I may yet find other things that I don't totally
> agree with, so my endorsement is of the overall site, not all the
> specific content!

Please be sure to tell this even louder, as I'm a strong supporter of a sunny Esrolia. I personally see it as quite Mediterranean : nice weather almost all year long, olive trees (and olive oil, of course), 30-35�C, little white cubic houses, aqueducts, guardian serpents in houses and a beautiful sea just outside, etc. Obviously, inspirations can come from Creta, Greece, Turkia, Egypt (Necropolis ?) and so on. May Imarja, She Who Is Everywhere, bless you all ! Let Dragon Pass be rainy and cold if the barbarians love it, but at least let us have a sunny Kethaela.

Now that I think about it, I think that indeed the culture described is somewhat Mediterranean (and not only that, of course), but indeed the weather article offers, if not a 'rainy weather' as you put it, at least some strong helerian influence, particularly along the Gorphing river. *shrug* YGWV.

        Philippe