Re: Re: Hiia armor?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:05:12 GMT

In message <3FCCF8C5.CF408794_at_...> Philippe Sigaud writes:
>Nick Eden wrote:
>
>[about turtle living in DP]
>> Can turtles survive a 5W3 winter?
>
>Is winter so cold in the Grazelands ?
>
>Strangely, I imagined it quite cold in the Sartar/Far Place area, but
>not that much farther west of Delecti's lair. Can a nomadic horse-riding
>people live with 1-2 meter of snow ? (I mean, it's a question that may
>becom important in my game)

It gets very cold on the Russian steppes which is where lots of horse nomads still live. On the other hand that's a pretty arid place so the snow fall may not be very great.

>And btw, do the Upland Marsh freeze in winter ? The River ? Skyfall Lake
>? (Ah, to show them the glittering icefall that happens only once in a
>century, the time when the greatest Uz heroquesters climb the Ice to
>bring back things from the Sky).

Standing water freezes more easily than moving so I would think the Upland Marsh usually freezes over while the River does in bad winters. Given the amount of water falling into Skyfall Lake I can't see that happening very often if at all. I seem to remember a mythic reason why the water falls so halting that action (by freezing it) could have dire effects.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/