Re: Hiia armor?

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:32:06 -0000

> >people live with 1-2 meter of snow ? (I mean, it's a question that
may
> >becom important in my game)
>
> It gets very cold on the Russian steppes which is where lots of
horse
> nomads still live. On the other hand that's a pretty arid place so
the
> snow fall may not be very great.

This may also be true of the grazelands. In RW terms, they are probably somewhat in the rain shadow of the mountains to their west. And it is at least implied that this area is naturally mostly a plains rather than a woods, which almost always implies little rain fall. Mythologically speaking, they worship fire spirits, and no doubt those help keep away the storms and give them more sunny skies, with less precipitation.

So it might be cold, but not so much snow. Obviously their horses would grow a good thick coat, and be adept at digging under shallow snow for grazing. Of course, the coming of the Verdref makes things easier, as they provide winter grain.

> >And btw, do the Upland Marsh freeze in winter ?
>
> Standing water freezes more easily than moving so I would think the
> Upland Marsh usually freezes over

I think the more normal parts of it would. But I think in the areas more directly influenced by Delecti it wouldn't IMO. Mind you, this is because I see the heart of the marshes being rather timeless. There is never any wind, but there is enough haze you can't see the sun. Water and earth are mixed so much it is hard to tell one from another. There is phosphoressence at night, so it is never totally dark. It is cold all year long, but never quite freezing. Time is hard to tell, and life and death blur together. The great gods, and even Time itself, have only a weak influence on there. It is a bit like a hole in the net of the compromise (and if the atmoshpere wasn't spooky enough, there is an idea to keep you up nights!)

--Bryan