Re: Turtles, impalas, and poikilotherms, oh my!

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 07:03:41 -0800 (PST)

ALISON PLACE:
> More of a problem is mixing a tree browser in
> with the three grazers. You have to assume
> more acacia-like trees available than
> I usually have, or more browsing by the high
> llamas.

A few points that are helpful, here:

First, the Greatlands actually have a lot of different terrain. There are seasonal rivers and two major swamps; trees grow along and in these. They are bounded by hills or mountains on all sides and there are hills and mountains within the Greatlands; trees may grow more easily there. I think High Llama grops will often move along these types of terrain -- along gully banks, the moist edges of swamps, and the hilly edges of mountain ranges.

Second, even the wastes are not devoid of trees. They are just devoid of anything that an Outlander would think is much of a tree. Many areas are covered with scrub -- low brush with trees up to 20 feet tall or so. Think of mesquite or similar trees -- thin leaves, long thorns, but good enough for a high llama on the move.

Third, when high llama move across grasslands, which look more like the American great plains or the Russian steppe, their two-legs have to gather food for them to eat. (See Drastic Prax on this.)

Finally, the cactus forest / cactus desert is an area that most tribes avoid because there is insufficient grazing for their beasts. During the springtime especially, this area is just fine for High Llama, as these beasts can eat the buds and flowers that shoot out of the cactuses. There are still other threats (you have to know that _that_ cactus throws thorns), but the High Llama tribe knows these threats better than the other tribes, since they spend more time there.

Chris Lemens

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/